Pages

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Olympic Glory for The Brownlees



Olympic Glory for The Brownlees

Celebrate good times, come on! It’s a massive congratulations to Leeds lads Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee as they won Gold and Bronze respectively in the Triathlon at the London 2012 Olympic Games, a truly amazing achievement for the brothers, as they battled for the ultimate Olympic ovation.

The VQ’s Carolyn Nicoll was at Hyde Park to cheer them on and witness their double triumph.

“I’m happy, excited, overwhelmed and a bit relieved”, an emotional Gold Medal winning Alistair enthused. “I’m immensely proud that my brother could get bronze. We made no secret of the fact that we wanted to get two of us on the podium and that’s not easy considering Britain had never won a medal in this sport before.”

Spain’s Javier Gomez put in a truly impressive performance to gain Silver and Jonathan Brownlee went on to secure Bronze, even though he’d received a 15 second penalty during the event.

"I didn't realise I'd done anything wrong. At first when I saw the board I thought 'Oh, 31, Alistair's got a penalty, what an idiot'” smiled Jonathan after the event. "Then I looked at my arm and realised I was 31! It was super hard for me, but I don't think it changed the result."

The Olympic medal ceremony was delayed by 30 minutes as Jonathan required medical treatment after he crossed the finish line.

"I was given glucose and water and had to lay down," Jonathan explained. "It's part of the sport. Triathlon’s a tough, tough sport and when I got my penalty it got even tougher."

An enormous well done, from all at The VQ and the city of Leeds, to Alistair and Jonathan, for an amazing Olympic winning performance.

Brownlee Brilliance at its Best!

Catch Carolyn Nicoll’s interview with Alistair and Jonathan in the run up to their triumphant Olympic moment in the VQ magazine available at The Victoria Quarter or on-line at http://www.v-q.co.uk/home/vq_magazine 
Also available on VQ'a Blog Click Here The Brownlee Brothers Talk to VQ